Grid, Solution Files and Connectivity Sharing: How to ??

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

kostasp
Experienced user

Grid, Solution Files and Connectivity Sharing: How to ??

Postby kostasp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Dear all,

I am using FEPolyhedral zone and I was wondering if I could use two different files to store the grid and the solution separately. The whole idea is very simple:

In a file characterized as filetype=grid I store the grid points(nodes) along with its connectivity(at the footer) and use the connectivitysharezone=zone_number option to another file of filetype=solution with the same number of grid elements/face/nodes.

However, when I load the two files, tecplot complains "connectivity list can only share from a lower numbered zone". Which is what I don't understand.

I always load the grid file first. So the zone number is 1 and I share the connectivity, required by zone 2(created by the solution file), to zone 1(created by the grid file).

Does the lower numbered zone refer to a zone inside the same file (ie the solution file) ?

Do you have any suggestions on how to share the connectivity between a grid and a solution file ?

Many Thanks,
Kostas

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Grid, Solution Files and Connectivity Sharing: How to ??

Postby Chris Idso » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 am

Kostas,

When you load a grid and solution you need to load them together. So you would go to File/Load Data File and choose the Tecplot data loader. Then click on the Multiple Files button at the bottom of the dialog, and select both of your files (grid and solution).

Then Tecplot will try to load them.

You do not need to use the "connectivitysharezone=zone_number" parameter in the header of the solution file. In fact, Tecplot will not let you do that because when these files are loaded they will combine to be one zone, rather than two different zones. The header of the Solution file needs to be the same as the header of the Grid file though (except for the FILETYPE parameter of course). And the Solution file does not need the connectivity list since that list is already in the Grid file.

The ConnectivityShareZone parameter is intended to be used when you have one file with many zones defined in it, some or all of which have the same connectivity. For the zones that have the same connectivity, the first of those zones defined in the file must have the connectivity defined in the header and must contain the connectivity list. The rest of those zones can use the ConnectivityShareZone parameter to refer to the first of those zones (by its number) and share its connectivity list.

When you load data into Tecplot, Tecplot numbers the zones 1 to n. It will do the same if you load one file which contains multiple zones. Since the connectivity needs to be defined in a zone BEFORE another zone can share it, then the zone where the connectivity is defined will always come before, and will have a lower zone number than the zone or zones that want to share its connectivity (which is where the ConnectivityShareZone parameter is used).
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

kostasp
Experienced user

Re: Grid, Solution Files and Connectivity Sharing: How to ??

Postby kostasp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:34 am

Thank you very much Chris for your crystal clear answer !!

Return to “Loading Data”