Tecplot on remote server

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

chai13
Experienced user

Tecplot on remote server

Postby chai13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello,

I have huge CFD data files on a remote HPC machine (which does have Tecplot installed on it). I was wondering if I can open Tecplot on my local machine and access files on HPC? This way I dont have to copy all those huge files from HPC to my local machine.
I am new to Tecplot and would really appreciate your help.

thanks in advance!

straton
Jedi Master

Re: Tecplot on remote server

Postby straton » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 am

chai13, thank you for your post

The quick answer is as long as your HPC data are available from the Tecplot menu File> Load Data File(s), or File > Open Layout, then you may use that data in your local Tecplot installation.

But the deeper question is regarding the bandwidth and storage type of your remote HPC system. Your performance will be limited by your remote storage.
Straton Spyropoulos

chai13
Experienced user

Postby chai13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks for the answer.
The problem is - how can make Tecplot see the data on HPC? I open Tecplot on my local machine. Is there any way Tecplot can connect to HPC server from my local machine to access the files? I used to do this with FV (there is an option to open files on remote server by specifying ip address) but I dont see that option in Tecplot. Is there any workaround?

thanks

Chai

straton
Jedi Master

Postby straton » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:10 pm

We are currently working on a method to allow remote access, similar to the way you describe.

At present you need to (a) mount the file system or (b) copy the files locally. --Straton

Svetlana
Expert

Postby Svetlana » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 pm

With Xorg installed locally, do X forwarding, Tecplot would run on server and see server files then. (Using "ssh -X -C" (openssh) or appropriate tick boxes in Putty or other SSH client.)

Return to “Loading Data”