Loading data from Comsol

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Doctor_J
Experienced user

Loading data from Comsol

Postby Doctor_J » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 am

Hello there!

I'm having troubles in loading data from Comsol. As far as I know Comsol is not able to create *cgns files, but just *txt files. I then downloaded an add-on in Tecplot giving the possibility to read *txt files from Comsol.
The problem is the following, Comsol is able to export just one single variable per time so if I need the two components of velocity I need to create two files. Then I run the add-on in Tecplot and I load the two files but here starts the problems. Tecplot creates two zones in the following way:
Zone 1) X Y U V -- with wrong values in V
Zone 2) X Y U V -- with wrong values in U

Any idea how to solve it? I'm not so expert in Tecplot so maybe is a stupid issue...

Thanks for your help guys!

jim

Re: Loading data from Comsol

Postby jim » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:28 am

Not sure if <a href="http://www.tecplottalk.com/addons/comsol/">this</a> is an option for you. It's a prototype we wrote for Comsol in hopes they would reuse the code to write a Tecplot exporter. We would still love them to do this, and would encourage you to contact Johan and your Comsol representative :D

One way to do this would be to load both files using the "Specify Options" option in the Tecplot loader. Tick the "move all" button. What you'll end up with is two zones, one with U defined and V as a placeholder, one with V defined and U as a placeholder.

Now, to map them to the same value, select Data -> Alter -> Specify Equations. Assuming "v" is the fourth variable, the syntax is thus:

v4 = v4[2]

After this, you can delete the second zone (data -> delete -> zone).

Doctor_J
Experienced user

Postby Doctor_J » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Jim!
Thanks for your answer. I was already using your add-on. I have already contacted Comsol and told them about the problem :D They told me that "officially" they do not support this feature, but maybe in the future...

Comsol has also the defect that writes
% Coordinates
instead of
% Coordinates (x,y,z)
so I'm forced to do that manually.

In the end I solved the problem, exporting a single variable in one file, than exporting another one in a second file and copy the column relative to the second variabile in the first file, then load in Tecplot. In this way it works!
I have troubles with the Tecplot support (support@tecplot.de), I sent a couple of email without any reply. I would like to know if tecplot is able to do isolines, like the isosurfaces in 3d, but just in 2D... Any idea?
Mainly I'm doing the lambda2 analysis and in 3D I have really beautiful visualization with isosurfaces, in 2D if I plot the contour I have a mess so I need isolines...

J

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 am

See Zone Style>Contour>Contour Type>Lines.

mitchell.plummer

Postby mitchell.plummer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 pm

I tried installing the comsol loader addon, but it does not load correctly. When I start tecplot, I recv the message "Add-on "loadcomsol.dll" could not be loaded. The specified procedure could not be found. (Windows error 127)."

I've placed the 32-bit loadcomsol.dll in the bin folder of my Tecplot 2009 directory, where other add-on dlls are located, and double-checked the add-on call in the tecplot.add file, so I don't know why Tecplot doesn't seem to find that dll. Help?

rezendervp

Postby rezendervp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:26 am

I'm with the same bug. The loader doesn't work.

jlmoran

Postby jlmoran » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I am also getting the same message. Anyone out there know what might be causing this issue?

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Apparently, we introduced a Windows-only binary incompatibility for any add-ons that use tecplot::toolbox::ArgList::getRef(). Any add-on that uses this method and was compiled against 360 2008 will not work with 360 2009. The loadcomsol add-on is one such example.

I'll get a new build made and have Jim post it.

jlmoran

Postby jlmoran » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your timely response. Do you have an estimate as to when the new build will be available for download? How might we know when it is available?

Thanks,

Jeff Moran

jim

Postby jim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:24 pm

I just posted Ben's new versions to the <a href="http://www.tecplottalk.com/addons/comsol/">add-on</a> page.

(Thanks, Ben!)

jlmoran

Postby jlmoran » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:50 pm

I just tried the new version and it appears to be working. Thank you!

One final question: COMSOL allows you to export data in several different formats, for example "Nodes, elements, data" or "Coordinates, data." Is there any specific format the COMSOL data needs to have when we export it so that it is readable by Tecplot?

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

broc

Postby broc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Jim & Ben,

Thanks for the quick response with new dll's!
Just to let you know, I am experiencing the same issue as Doctor_J - I have to manually modify the file header to include "(x,y,z)". This is no big deal, but unfortunately, I am getting one other error during the "Gathering Header Information" step of the import
"Error creating Tecplot file: Unable to write connectivity to Tecplot file."

JLMORAN - I quickly tried the two export formats supported by COMSOL & it appears that the "Nodes, elements, data" format is the required one with the small header modification that I noted above.

Broc

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 am

Hmm, perhaps I can add the ability to deduce the number of spatial variables when that header is missing, but I don't have time now. Would you guys be interested in the source code for this add-on so you could do it yourselves?

Broc, I'm not sure why you're getting that error. Would you be able to give me a sample file?

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:22 am

FYI, the code is now hosted on Sourceforge:
http://loadcomsol.sourceforge.net/

You can check out the code with subversion:

Code: Select all

svn co https://loadcomsol.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/loadcomsol/trunk loadcomsol

jlmoran

Postby jlmoran » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am

I just started getting a similar error to the one Broc is reporting, and I tried to resolve it by re-downloading "loadcomsol.dll." However, whenever I start Tecplot I now get the following message:

-----
Add-on "loadcomsol.dll" could not be loaded.
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.
Please see the application event log for more detail.

(Windows error 14001)
-----

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to “Loading Data”