Beginners dynamic text help

Tecplot's automation language

Python scripts were supported in the alpha version for Legacy 360 (2013). Python inquiries in 2017 should be directed to the PyTecplot Forum.

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Jennynot

Beginners dynamic text help

Postby Jennynot » Mon May 18, 2009 2:46 am

Hi,

I'm a beginner with tecplot 360 and I've searched everywhere but I'm really stuck. What I have found in the 'user guide' is not as explicit as I require in my beginnerness - it mentions being able to call from external files but not how, and I assume that to use dynamic text I just type the &syntax into a text box and it will know it is dynamic text?

All I'm trying to do is use dynamic text to display something stored in a text file associated with the datafile. So... if in a separate (.txt file I assume) I would have:

123.dat january 1969
456.dat february 1969
789.dat march 1969
etc

I want the dynamic text to call say 'january 1969' if the name of the datafile it's currently reading is 123.dat. What would I type for that to work? And how would I type it?

Thanks so much

jim

Re: Beginners dynamic text help

Postby jim » Thu May 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Yes, if your data has its solution time set, you can create a dynamic text box with:

Code: Select all

&(solutiontime)

and as you animate among the zones, it'll display the value. It will support primitive formatting. For example:

&(Solutiontime%2.3f)

will limit the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Unfortunately, displaying this in time/date format is not yet implemented.

I'm not sure what you mean by "call from external files," but Tecplot does allow you to store auxiliary data on a dataset, page, frame, zone, and variable scope. This can be displayed using the dynamic text primitives.

For example, suppose I have a simple 2x2x2 cube:

TITLE     = "Test data"
VARIABLES = "X" "Y" "Z"
DATASETAUXDATA jennynot="January 1969"
ZONE T="Just a simple cube"
 STRANDID=1, SOLUTIONTIME=1
 I=2, J=2, K=2, ZONETYPE=Ordered
 DATAPACKING=BLOCK
 AUXDATA jim="January 1970"
 DT=(SINGLE SINGLE SINGLE )
 0.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 1.0
 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0
 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0

After loading this, I can display the value of "jennynot" by creating a text box and adding this:

&(AUXDATASET:jennynot)

Similarly, I have some information stored at the zone level. Because the dynamic text primitive requires a specific zone number, it's not as useful as associating it with a dataset. However, I can access this by using:

&(AUXZONE[1]:jim)

Hope this helps.

mariclaydson

Re: Beginners dynamic text help

Postby mariclaydson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 am

What if I output my simulation time on the output file of my simulation and I want to take those times and show as a dynamic text in the frame?

Return to “Tecplot Macro Language”