Extract streamtrace to an Excel file.

Tecplot's automation language

Python scripts were supported in the alpha version for Legacy 360 (2013). Python inquiries in 2017 should be directed to the PyTecplot Forum.

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

unigamer

Extract streamtrace to an Excel file.

Postby unigamer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I have a velocity vector map with some streamtraces drawn. I would like to extract the streamtraces to a a text file (.csv?) that can be read by Excel. I can extract the streamtraces to zones and then write a .plt (Tecplot data file) but as far as I am aware this cannot be read by excel.

I would like the coordinates that make up the streamtrace line and the velocity vector data at each point along the streamline.

If I've not been clear, please feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks very much,

Jonathan

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Extract streamtrace to an Excel file.

Postby Chris Idso » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello Jonathan,

There is a way to do this. All you need to do is find the tecplot.add file in your tercplot folder, open it in a text editor and fidn the line that says:

# $!LoadAddon "excsv" # Export data delimited by commas, spaces or tabs

Remove the '#' from the beginning of the line and then save and close the file. The next time you run tecplot this will add an addon called "Write Data as Formatted Text to Tecplot's tools menu. This addon allows you to write zones/variables out in csv format.
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

epihua

Postby epihua » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Chris Idso wrote:Hello Jonathan,

There is a way to do this. All you need to do is find the tecplot.add file in your tercplot folder, open it in a text editor and fidn the line that says:

Remove the '#' from the beginning of the line and then save and close the file. The next time you run tecplot this will add an addon called "Write Data as Formatted Text to Tecplot's tools menu. This addon allows you to write zones/variables out in csv format.

Hi,

Did anyone try this method? I extracted a streamtrace to a new zone, and then used this addone to export the streamtrace into a csv file. However, in this csv file, all point of the streamtrace had the same X and Y values. In other words, what I saw in Tecplot was a polyline, what I got in the csv file was just a point.

Also, could I export streamtrace into shapefile format or any other format that can be read by ArcGIS?

Look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks!

epihua

Postby epihua » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Chris Idso wrote:There is a way to do this. All you need to do is find the tecplot.add file in your tercplot folder, open it in a text editor and fidn the line that says:

Hi,

Did anyone try this method? I extracted a streamtrace to a new zone, and then used this addone to export the streamtrace into a csv file. However, in this csv file, all point of the streamtrace had the same X and Y values. In other words, what I saw in Tecplot was a polyline, what I got in the csv file was just a point.

Also, could I export streamtrace into shapefile format or any other format that can be read by ArcGIS?

Look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks!

Return to “Tecplot Macro Language”