Including Local Addon Automatically

Tecplot's automation language

Python scripts were supported in the alpha version for Legacy 360 (2013). Python inquiries in 2017 should be directed to the PyTecplot Forum.

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

ross

Including Local Addon Automatically

Postby ross » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 am

Hello all,

I would like tec360 to load the 'Extract Precise Polyline' addon every time. I do not have admin privileges and cannot add the libextprec.so file to the $TEC360HOME/lib directory. Instead, I have put the library addon file libextprec.so in a local location that I can point to. I can include the addon from the command line using:

tec360 -loadaddon /home/user/tec360/addons/bin/libextprec.so

but that's a hastle to type every time. Instead, I would like to edit my local ~/.tecplot.add file to include the addon. I can't figure out the syntax for pointing to an addon that isn't in the tec360 install directory, however. I have tried:

$!LoadAddOn "/home/user/tec360/addons/bin/libextprec"

but I get 'Invalid Macro file header' error when starting tec360. Can anybody tell me the correct syntax, or suggest another way to solve my problem? I'm running tec360 2013 R1 on openSUSE 12.1 . Thanks!

Svetlana
Expert

Re: Including Local Addon Automatically

Postby Svetlana » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Prepend this line to the file top:

#!MC 1410

Please see also section 3.1 of the scripting guide that comes with Tecplot 360.

ross

Postby ross » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Ah, yes. I was missing the header line. I used #!MC 1400 because my version is slightly different.

Also, it looks like the presence of ~/.tecplot.add means Tecplot doesn't read the default add file. So I would get the Precise Polyline addon but no other addons.

In the end, I copied the default .tecplot.add file from $TEC360HOME into my home directory and appended a single line to the end:

$!LoadAddOn "/home/user/tec360/addons/bin/libextprec"

Thanks for your help Svetlana!

Svetlana
Expert

Postby Svetlana » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Glad to hear you sorted it out! If you would like to avoid copying, see section 30.1.4 of the user manual: set the environment variable TECADDONFILE for it to process it after processing the default Tecplot.add file.

Suspect just "libextprec" instead of the full path could work (if governed by appropriate environment variables).

I'll see if I can request that the behaviour in case of twoTecplot.add files - one in installation directory, and one in your home directory - is documented better in a next release (assuming, from your description, that it just picked up the one in the home directory without asking, and forgot about the other one).

Return to “Tecplot Macro Language”