Single x-y data with two y-axes for different scales

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

chuong

Single x-y data with two y-axes for different scales

Postby chuong » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello everyone,

For example, I have time-temperature data and I want to plot the temperature in both C and F degrees on the left and the right axes of the same plot. Is this possible for Tecplot 360 2009 and how?

Thanks a lot,

Chuong

scottf
Tecplot Employee

Re: Single x-y data with two y-axes for different scales

Postby scottf » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:53 am

This is pretty easy. In the "Mapping Style" dialog, make sure that you have two Line Maps created, one with C and one with F as the Y-Axis variable. Then, for one of the maps select "Which Y-Axis" and change it to Y2.

You can change axis settings in the Plot->Axis dialog.

Hope that helps.

Scott
Scott Fowler

chuong

Postby chuong » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi Scottf,

Thanks for the quick reply.

According to your solution, I will have 2 curves of the same data set. However I need to show only 1 curve for both C and F degrees. Maybe a temporal solution is to do as you said and then manually adjust the scale on the 2 y-axes so that the 2 curves overlap on top of each other and appear as one. This way is not very nice as the legend of the plot will automatically show 2 items instead of one.

I searched in Tecplot help and on Google and it seems there is no way to produce the plot I need on Tecplot, although it could be done correctly in some other software. If this is the case, I propose that Tecplot will support this simple feature in the future version.

Thanks again,

Chuong

scottf
Tecplot Employee

Postby scottf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 am

I think you can accomplish what you want.

If both Mappings have the same style, that is: the same name, line color, symbol color, etc. Tecplot will treat this as a duplicate entry in the legend and eliminate it.
Scott Fowler

xinmude
Experienced user

Postby xinmude » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:27 pm

This indeed can be done! It will be frustrating, however, to manually tweak the scale and range of the 2nd axis so that the 2nd curve will exactly overlap the 1st one. You can instead create 2 sets of CUSTOMLABLES, and make the 2 sets match by pairs. Then apply 1 set to the 1st curve, and another set to the 2nd curve.

In my case, I need to show the same curve simultaneously as functions of angle Z and cos(Z), and cos(Z) is not even linear function of Z. So my 1st set of CUSTOMLABELS contain evenly spaced Z values, and 2nd set of CUSTOMLABELS contain cos(Z) values corresponding to the Z values in the 1st set. Then I applied Set 1 labels to X1, and Set 2 labels to X2. Job done.

Return to “Tecplot 360 and Focus”