Line thickness limitation

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Herr10

Line thickness limitation

Postby Herr10 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:08 am

Hi all

In XY line mode, I have different curves plotted with different thicknesses. But when I export my plot with a bitmap format (ie: JPEG, PNG, TIFF), line thickness is capped and the result doesn't fit with what i have on Tecplot window. The larger export width, the smaller the cap. Eventually, curves seem to have the same thickness.

By instance, I have 2 curves, one with line thickness at 0.40 % of frame, the other at 0.80 %. If export width is 512 px, I can see a difference between lines. If export width is 2048 px, I simply can't: the thickest one has the same thickness. This is annoying.

Also, if I try to set huge line thickness (say, 50 %), I can't see the result on Tecplot window.

This makes me think there is an upper limit for line thickness which could depend on resolution.

Does anyone know what the problem is? How I can solve it? Thanks for your help.

Svetlana
Expert

Re: Line thickness limitation

Postby Svetlana » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 pm

What Tecplot version are you using? And could you please attach a small (10-20 points) example file and two images of different size? Thanks.

Herr10

Re: Line thickness limitation

Postby Herr10 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 am

Svetlana wrote:What Tecplot version are you using?

Tecplot 2014R2

Svetlana wrote:And could you please attach a small (10-20 points) example file and two images of different size? Thanks.

Here are a comparative figure of the same plot, one exported with 512 px width, the other one with 2048 px (which has been resized back to 512 px in another image software for readability). Red curve has a thickness of 5 % of the frame, blue one 0.8 %.

width.png
width.png (51.05 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

You can see every lines are thinner in the 2048 px version. And you can't tell a thickness difference between red and blue curves. Take note antialiasing is turned on, with a supersample factor of 3.

if I change the values of antialiasing supersample factor for the same export width of 512 px, I get this:

aliasing.png
aliasing.png (90.71 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

The higher the supersample factor, the thinner the lines. This however is close to this issue: Edge line thickness when exporting PNG.

Return to “Tecplot 360 and Focus”