Add Legend to 3D Plot, how to?

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

hbquax

Add Legend to 3D Plot, how to?

Postby hbquax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am

Hi there,

I have a number of data sets of Phi vs x, for different values of the parameter alfa, all in individual zones. I can plot it all in one XY line plot, add a line legend, and it will look like this:

XY_Legend.png
XY_Legend.png (149.4 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

Now, using the third dimension for the parameter alfa makes for a much nicer plot. Unfortunately, there is no XYZ-Plot in Tecplot (by the way: why not ?!?), so I made a 3D cartesian plot instead, which looks like this:

3dCart_NoLegend.png
3dCart_NoLegend.png (155.32 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

Now, the question is, how do I get a line legend on my 3D-Plot? I realize that a general header might do in this case, as the parameter alfa is now part of the plot, but still, generally and for future use on similar plots, if want to add further information to individual lines:

Is there any way to make an XYZ line plot, OR is there a way of adding zone legends to 3D cartesian plots?

Best regards
Nils

scottf
Tecplot Employee

Re: Add Legend to 3D Plot, how to?

Postby scottf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:08 am

Nils,

This is the first time I've seen this use case. Unfortunately Tecplot 360 has no "line legend" for 3D plots.

One "hack" would be to use your XY Line plot. You could set the Font units to "Points" for the Line Legend - this will make the legend a constant size regardless of the frame size. Then, shrink the Frame down to the size of the legend. This will give the effect of a floating legend, which you can then place anywhere in the layout.
Scott Fowler

SheltonB

Re: Add Legend to 3D Plot, how to?

Postby SheltonB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi there Nils, did you make any progress?
And learn about this gynexin.

Return to “Tecplot 360 and Focus”