two dimensional plot on different planes

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

zislam500

two dimensional plot on different planes

Postby zislam500 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 am

Hi
I want to draw pressure contours on XY plane at different Z position, i.e. on different planes along Z axis. Could any of you please help me saying how i can do that?
I would highly appreciate that.
I am using tecplot 10.
Thank you.
Regards,
Zahid

salter

Re: two dimensional plot on different planes

Postby salter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Zahid,

To do what you are requesting, the data would have to be in 3D. This can be accomplished in a number of methods. You can set up the slice mode of Tecplot with multiple slices between the min and max Z locations. The options are in the Slices dialog from the Plot drop down menu. Using this method, I was able to produce a plot of fictitious data. But since the image is not on the web, I'm not sure how to show it to you.

Steve...
Steve...

Aerospace Research Engineer
Aerothermodynamics Branch
NASA Langley Research Center

zislam500

Postby zislam500 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Thank you very much Salter.
I tried to use slice option but i couldn't.
I have data like:
x y z p
-3.5 -3.5 1.0 1.0865
-2 -1.5 1.0 0.956
-3.5 -3.5 3.0 0.967
....and so on.
If i use 3D plot, it creats different planes at different z position but i cannot then triangulate pressure data to create contour. Otherway, it seems my data are not volume data. Then how can i get volume data?
Could you please help me in this regard.

I would appreciate that very much.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Is your data ordered? IOW, can it be described in IJK dimensions, like "my data is 10x20x15 points." If so, you just to specify the dimensions in the data file.

If not, you have fewer options. One possibility is to create an ordered zone to surround the data (see Data>Create Zone> Rectangular) then interpolate your data onto the rectangular zone (see Data>Interpolate).

salter

Postby salter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 am

Zahid,

If your data is in a plane at a constant Z, but all the planes are in one zone, you can create new zones with just those points in a single Z plane. You can also collect points in a range of Z coordinates. If you know at which node location the Z-plane coordinate changes, you can use the Data->Extract Zone-> subzone... option in the main menu to extract a range of I-direction points into a single zone. Once in a single zone, you can then switch to the X,Y plane in 2D and triangulate the zone to generate the contours you seek. On the other hand, if you want a range of Z-coordinates to be in a single plane, then you have to use a macro to query each point and determine if the Z-coordinate is within an acceptable range for Z. Then you can triangulate the new zone.

Furthermore, if the points you have are in order such that the Z-coordinate does not change for the entire plane of points, until the next plane begins, you can also use a macro to post process the 1D zone into multiple zones by switching to a new zone when the Z-coordinate changes. An example macro would be:

Code: Select all

#!MC 1100

$!GetVarNumByName |Zvar|
  Name = "Z"

# Determine the number of points in each zone and
# create a new zone for each one with the contents
# extracted from the root zone (1).

$!VarSet |NumPlanes| = 0

$!Loop |MaxI|

$!GetFieldValue |Zpt|
     Zone = 1
     Var = |Zvar|
     Index = |loop|

$!If |loop| == 1

$!VarSet |Zold| = |Zpt|
    $!VarSet |NumPts| = 1

$!Else

$!If |Zold| == |Zpt|

$!VarSet |NumPts| += 1

$!Else

$!VarSet |NumPlanes| += 1
      $!VarSet |BegPt| = (|loop|-|NumPts|)
      $!VarSet |EndPt| = (|loop|-1)

$!DuplicateZone
        SourceZone = 1
        IRange
        {
         Min = |BegPt|
         Max = |Endpt|
        }

$!RenameDatasetZone
        Zone = |NumZones|
        Name = "Z=|Zold|"

$!VarSet |NumPts| = 1
      $!VarSet |Zold| = |Zpt|
    $!EndIf
  $!EndIf

$!EndLoop

$!VarSet |NumPlanes| += 1
$!VarSet |BegPt| = (|loop|-|NumPts|)
$!VarSet |EndPt| = (|loop|-1)

$!DuplicateZone
  SourceZone = 1
  IRange
  {
   Min = |BegPt|
   Max = |Endpt|
  }

$!RenameDatasetZone
   Zone = |NumZones|
   Name = "Z=|Zold|"

When this macro is finished, you should have multiple zones with each one as a separate zone for a specific Z coordinate. I'll leave the rest up to you to determine how to cast the data into an X-Y plane and triangulate the data. Note that all of this additional work can be done in the macro so that at the end, you have a set of zones with pressure contours showing.

Good Luck.
Steve...

vrishankraghav

Postby vrishankraghav » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm new to Tecplot and I had a similar question.
I have data which has x,y,omega(vorticity). In 10 different planes. These are just simple 2D plots. I want to overlay them in planes in one plot to show the 3D variation.

salter

Postby salter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 am

Since your data consists of 2D data and a variable, it is difficult for me to determine what the variable is to make this 3D. So there are two ways you can view this data. In 2D, you can overlay multiple frames, but with 10 individual frames, what exactly do you want to discover or investigate? If you are looking for the "union" of all domains to find the region that is untouched, you can overlay all frames, making all but one without a background (Frame Attributes). If you want to see a progression of change, you can color code the edges in different frames based on either a rainbow or gray scale increments of color. You can even animate the frames so that they appear as individual overlays.

For a 3D perspective, you can produce a carpet plot in order to show a 3D progression. If each zone has the same number of points, we can construct a macro that will merge all the data sets into one data set for plotting in 3D, assuming that each set represents a line of data. If each data set is different but still a 1D line of data, we can combine all points into one set, triangulate it in X,Y and still produce the carpet plot. However, if you are looking for something more exact in time or space, then I need more information about the data set in order to proceed.

Looking forward to your response.
Steve...

pradeep

Postby pradeep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 am

I am also facing the same problem. I have three temperature filed in different 2d plots like xy,yz,zx.I would like to combine all three and to get the 3d field. Please suggest me the solution

Thanks
pradeep

Return to “Tecplot 360 and Focus”