Releasing multiple particles at time = 0

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

gusfh

Releasing multiple particles at time = 0

Postby gusfh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:05 am

Hi,
I have been trying to create an animation that will show how particles released from a particular place travel through a flow field. What i am really want to do is to release a bunch of particles once (and then no more) and see how they move through the flow. (in a way, trying to mimic Random Walk Particle Tracking)
I found a very useful post on here that has helped me to follow just one particle or release one particle at set times through my animation but was wondering if there is a way in Tecplot to release a bunch of particles at time=0 and then none thereafter??

any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers
Gus
Gus
MScR student

salter

Re: Releasing multiple particles at time = 0

Postby salter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:02 am

If you want to release multiple particles, you need to have multiple seed points. The type of movement through a flow field is important to determine the type of animation you wish to perform. If it is streamtraces, then you put in multiple points and let them go in a single solution. If you are tracing the particles through time, you will have to do something entirely different. I did this with a 1.5TB solution, containing 750 2GB solution files. If you can load the entire solution into Tecplot, place the particles the same way you do streamtrace seed points, but then track the particles using the analyzer not the streamtracing animation dialog. If you cannot have all the solutions in memory at one time, you will have to load at least 2 solutions. For the first solution, initial start, place the seed point with the streamtrace mechanism. Then, output a frame for an animation file; I typically use mpeg. Then track the particle movement for one time step to the next solution. and output another frame. At this point, you need to extract the particle locations to zones or a zone. Delete the particles, delete the first solution, load the next solution, and place the particle beginning points from the extracted zone. Advance one time step, output the frame, extract the new particle points to another zone, and continue this process through the entire set of solutions.

Good luck.
Steve...

Aerospace Research Engineer
Aerothermodynamics Branch
NASA Langley Research Center

gusfh

Re: Releasing multiple particles at time = 0

Postby gusfh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks very much! i am lucky enough to have only a small data set so i can load the entire solution into Tecplot in one go...Placing a number of streamtrace seed points and tracking in the analyzer has worked nicely, cheers.
Thanks very much for your help,
Gus
Gus

MScR student

Return to “Analyzer”