Playing animations in a linux player

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

jfinn

Playing animations in a linux player

Postby jfinn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 am

Hello,

I have been creating animations with tecplot360-2009. These animations consist of greyscale planar slices, as well as translucent, colored iso-surfaces. I have tried to do this in Red Hat 5 with an NVIDIA graphics card as well as Ubuntu 9.04 with an ATI card. The layout is rendered fine on screen, and my animation macro runs without warning or error.

What i am having trouble with is playing the avi files in a linux player. The colors in the animation become very choppy and distorted, and the isosurface colors seem to get associated with the slice greyscale. The result is a very jumbled color output that seems to change during every frame. Has anyone had similar problems? I think maybe I need to configure the output in mplayer, but i am generally unfamiliar with the options here.

I didn't have this problem with tecplot360 2008, and if I play the movie in Windows using windows media player it is rendered just fine. I can send a small animation file anyone can test it on their machine

Thanks in advance,

-Justin Finn

jfinn

Re: Playing animations in a linux player

Postby jfinn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I figured out the problem. It had something to do with the color output in the default compression. When I added the line:

$!EXPORTSETUP AVICOMPRESSION = LOSSLESSUNCOMPRESSED

to the beginning of my macro, I get a nice looking output with mplayer in linux.

-Justin Finn

jim

Postby jim » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:01 pm

If you're so inclined, I have a preview build that also includes MPEG4, Flash Video and Windows Movie Video animation outputs.

jfinn

Postby jfinn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Rad!

At the moment, AVI works pretty well for us. Do you think the rendering would be more consistent across platforms (ie Linux to Windows, or Linux to Mac) with one of these formats?

-Justin Finn

Return to “Animation”