Linking multible zones to save space

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

johnhelt

Linking multible zones to save space

Postby johnhelt » Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 am

Hi. I have a problem of the following sorts: My data (X,Y,Z and value) is to be plotted in a scatter plot for certain time steps. I want to plot the accumulation of particles with time. Right now, I assign a zone and all data into that zone like e.g.

Code: Select all

zone t= "        1000 deposited particles"

I then use the StrandEditor to assign each zone a "solution time" while stepping with constant delta. This works fine as long as each zone contains the accumulated (X,Y,Z,value) data up until the point of the "Solution Time". However, as you can imagine I have to repeat writing data to my file that is actually already present in the zone with the previous "Solution Time". Ideally, I would like to link the zones, so that each zone only contains the difference between the previous and the actual one. Is this possible?

Best,
Tobias Elmøe

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Linking multible zones to save space

Postby Chris Idso » Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 am

Hello Tobias,

Before we get too deeply into this question, can you tell us whether are:

1) Tracking the appearance of individual particles over time.
2) Tracking the movement of particles in a domain over time.
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

johnhelt

Postby johnhelt » Mon May 31, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Chris. Thanks for your fast reply and applogies for my late one.

My program tracks particles position with time and lets me determine where they deposit in a flow field. I don't want to animate the deposition and movement of each single particle, so I made zones incrementing with 1000 deposited particles. The data in each zone contains the (X,Y,Z) position, as well as the diameter of each individual particle. So far, I simply plot them in a scatter plot and then animate the zones. I can also assign a StrandID and a "Solution Time" and use time animation. However, as I said in the previous post, to animate the zones in either way requires me to have every new zone contain the (X,Y,Z) position and diameter of the previous zone as well. A simple "Hold on" command like in Matlab, would solve my problems I guess and save alot of space as well.

Greets,
Tobias Elmøe

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Postby Chris Idso » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 pm

Tobias,

Thank you for the additional information.

The way to animate this is not to use the animation features Tecplot has, because they are set up to activate the current zone and deactivate the previous zone at the same time. This is not what you want, so we would suggest animating with a Tecplot macro instead.

This would give you total control over which zones were active, so you would then be able to keep previous zones active while activating current zones. We provide with Tecplot a Reference Manual (Tecplot/Doc/Tecplot folder) which contains a list of all the macro commands and their syntax. We also have some animation macros you can download from our website (www.tecplort.com).

If you need more help with this, please let us know.
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead

Tecplot, Inc

Return to “Animation”