PNG image output for animations

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

reezer
Experienced user

PNG image output for animations

Postby reezer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 am

So, I'm making some animations.... nothing too fancy, but I need HD quality and I need it to be as "small" as possible. I've been using ffmpeg with the h.264 codec to generate animations with images that are numbered sequentially.

Specifically, I want to export each frame as a PNG image file and then create my own animation using multi-pass ffmpeg to minimize the animation artifacts while keeping the animation very high quality. I'm looking at bit rates in the 2MB/sec range.

I think that the older versions of Tecplot allowed for the export of JPEG and PNG images for animations. Has this capability been removed or is it buried in a macro/add-on somewhere?

Thanks in advance....
DR Jr., Ph.D.

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: PNG image output for animations

Postby Chris Idso » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Hello,

Tecplot can export PNG and JPEG images, but for animations it can only export AVI, Raster Metafile, and FLASH. If you want to export a series of PNG or JPEG images, you can do this, but it takes a macro.

It is not a difficult macro to write - all you need to do is record yourself (Scripting/Record Macro) setting up the first image you want to export, and exporting the image (in JPEG or PNG).

Then you can open the macro in a text editor and in a few minutes edit it so that it will repeat these steps, for all of your timesteps.

We have a reference manual most of which is devoted to the macro language. It contains a list of all the macro commands Tecplot recognizes and their syntax. Here is a link to where you can download it.

http://www.tecplot.com/Support/Documentation.aspx

The document on that page that you want is the Tecplo0t 360 Scripting Guide. it is in the left most column, third from top.
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

Return to “Animation”