Dynamic text that is changing in time dependent animation

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

iva

Dynamic text that is changing in time dependent animation

Postby iva » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 pm

I am making a time dependent animation and I need to add a dynamic text that is a function of time step. For example, for time step number 1 is needs to be 'Jan', for time step number 2 it needs to be 'Feb', for time step number three it needs to be 'Mar', etc.

All my experiments with STRANDID, SOLUTIONTIME, and AUXDATA have failed. I could easily get a number that is changing at each time step, but what I really need is a character function of this number.

Is there a way to do it with Tecplot, or is it just my wishful thinking, and I need to edit the resulting animation with another software? Thank you in advance for your help.

salter

Re: Dynamic text that is changing in time dependent animatio

Postby salter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:35 am

iva,

There is a way to have dynamic text be text and not a number. I do it all the time. If you have time dependent data, there should be a name associated with a zone or a dataset. How are you loading your data? If you load all of it at once, you can select a specific zone to have the name you want, say zone 1, and print it's name on the plot. If you are animating using Tecplot's features, I'm unfamiliar with those because I prefer to write my own macros for animation. In that case, you can select a "sacrificial" zone to have the text to appear on the plot, and simply change the zone name for each step in the animation.
Steve...

Aerospace Research Engineer
Aerothermodynamics Branch
NASA Langley Research Center

iva

Postby iva » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 am

Steve,
Thank you for your reply. I created a simple test case to illustrate what I do.

The dataset consists of one element. It is a time dependent dataset, and it has two time steps. SOLUTIONTIME for time step 1 is 1., SOLUTIONTIME for time step 2 is 2. I load this dataset into Tecplot and use the Tecplot built-in feature to animate it. I have no problem to show STRANDID and SOLUTIONTIME as a dynamic text, they do change from 1 to 2 during animation. However, all my attempts to show either zone title T, or AUXDATA have failed. They are showed for one zone only. I.e. I can see either 'step1', or 'step2' in my animation. The text do nor change from 'step1' to 'step2' during animation.

So, you are saying that I should write my own macro for the animation. Let me scratch my head...

TITLE = "Test"
VARIABLES = "x", "y", "z", "var"
ZONE T="step1", NODES= 4 ELEMENTS= 1 DATAPACKING=POINT, ZONETYPE=FEQUADRILATERAL, STRANDID=1, SOLUTIONTIME=1.
AUXDATA text="Step1"
0. 0. 0. 0.
1. 0. 0. 0.
0. 1. 0. 0.
1. 1. 0. 0.
1 2 4 3
ZONE T="step2", NODES= 4 ELEMENTS= 1 DATAPACKING=POINT, ZONETYPE=FEQUADRILATERAL, STRANDID=2, SOLUTIONTIME=2.
AUXDATA text="Step2"
0. 0. 0. 1.
1. 0. 0. 1.
0. 1. 0. 1.
1. 1. 0. 1.
1 2 4 3

salter

Postby salter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 am

iva,

First off, Tecplot technical support is the first place to go. Chris Idso helped me understand more of what is happening here, and I cannot thank him enough for helping me understand this.

In response to your immediate problem, the settings you have for your STRANDID are incorrect. In Tecplot, STRANDID is used to identify a set of zones that belong to an animation. So in your case, since each zone is a separate solution, the STRANDID should be constant. The SOLUTIONTIME is then used to determine where in the solution evolution the particular zone resides. If you happen to have 100 zones per solution, each zone would have a different STRANDID and identical SOLUTIONTIME, with subsequent sets of 100 zones having incremental SOLUTIONTIMEs and the STRANDID would correspond the zone at the current solution time with the previous solution time.

So for the dataset you uploaded, the STRANDID has to be 1 for the Tecplot animation to work properly (Time animation - which is a bit confusing). The dynamic text issue is then resolved when you use "&(AUXZONE[ACTIVEOFFSET=1]:text). In your dataset, you define "text" as the AUX data for a zone. The "ACTIVEOFFSET=1" tells tecplot to use the first active zone of the set of zones for a particular time step. So, if you set the STRANDID correctly, and use the above dynamic text, you should see the text you desire changing as desired.

Good Luck,

If you are talking about one zone at a time in the animation, you might try the following:
Steve...

salter

Postby salter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 am

iva,

One further note. As I told Tecplot, I do not use the animation built into Tecplot because my animations typically require far more information than can be easily accommodated. So not having used this functionality before, I too had to ask Tecplot technical support for help. They are very good at answering questions.
Steve...

iva

Postby iva » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 am

Steve,
I changed STRANDID to 1 for all zones, and my problem was resolved. The dynamic text &(ZONENAME[ACTIVEOFFSET=1]) is now produces the text line that changes from 'step1' to 'step2' during animation. &(AUXZONE[ACTIVEOFFSET=1]:text) also changes from 'Step1' to 'Step2' during animation. So, everything is working now as advertised in a manual. Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, I should have used the tech-support resource before asking at the forum, but I did not realize that my failure was a result of my own error. Sometimes things are simpler than they look. Thank you again for your straightening me up so promptly.

Regards,
Igor Antropov

P.S. I think we met in person at NASA Langley in 2008

Return to “Animation”