Object insertion

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Aeronautics

Object insertion

Postby Aeronautics » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I would like to insert a solid airfoil geometry in TecPlot 360 but I do not know the easiest way to do that. Any suggestions? This will help me interpret the data more accurately. Some people use .PAN files but I am not familiar with that method and would like an approach that is a little more straight forward.

salter

Re: Object insertion

Postby salter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 am

When you say a solid airfoil, are you asking for a geometry with no data associated with it, or actual geometry that can be used for computing derivatives, or showing various data sets on, such as pressure coefficient, or skin friction? I'm a bit confused by exactly what you are trying to do.
Steve...

Aerospace Research Engineer
Aerothermodynamics Branch
NASA Langley Research Center

Aeronautics

Postby Aeronautics » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:06 am

Thank you Steve for replying.

Suppose that I have flowfield data, e.g. velocity field, and I would like to show the velocity field with the airfoil in the figure to help the reader to see the flowfield in relation to the airfoil geometry more clearly. Therefore, I just want to insert the airfoil geometry, or even a cylinder, in the flowfield. I hope this answer make it clearer on what I want to do.

Thanks

salter

Postby salter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am

Crystal! There are a number of ways to do this. If you have a wing grid, you can import the data into the same frame, slice it, and only show the slice. Alternatively, you can import the wing grid into another frame, slice it, and display the airfoil in the background in 2D with axes deactivated, but the frame behind your working frame. Simply set the background of your working frame to be transparent. Then there's the possibility of importing it as a geometry in 2D, but you'll have to write out the coordinates in Tecplot geometry format instead of a zone of data. Geometries can be filled in easily with a solid color as well.

Hope this helps.
Steve...

Aeronautics

Postby Aeronautics » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you Steve!

I am plotting a three-dimensional flowfield, therefore, my "object" should also be three-dimensional. I will try your suggestions by writing the coordinates of the airfoil as X, Y and Z.
If my data are saved as a .DAT file, what file format do you recommend for writing the airfoil coordinates?
Also, suppose that X, Y and Z correspond to the streamwise, spanwise and wall-normal direction, respectively. The airfoil coordinates will be in the X and Z directions and the Y values should be the same since it is a two-dimensional airfoil. The question will be then when I write the airfoil coordinates do I have to repeat the X and Z coordinates for each slice in Y or I can write one set and mirror them in TecPlot to fill the whole volume? Do you have any suggestions?

salter

Postby salter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am

Three dimensions is entirely different. Using a background geometry is not good because you cannot shadow the plotted data with the wing, and vise versa. Instead, you'll need to include the geometry of the wing as a separate zone, where you have the option of setting the surface properties to zero, or extracted from the actual data set. To extract them from the dataset you can use krigging to interpolate data to the wing coordinates.

For the geometry then, since the spanwise coordinate will have constant airfoils, you could easily make a zone that I-points along the circumference of the wing, and 2 J-points for the limits of the wing. This will produce a 3D wing.
Steve...

Aeronautics

Postby Aeronautics » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am

Thank you Steve again. I will try that and let you know if I had further questions. By the way, have you had a chance to review my other question regarding the Tensor Eigensystem?

Regards

salter

Postby salter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:09 am

I have, but do not have a solution for you because I have not used that particular feature.
Steve...

Return to “Animation”