avi + vlc

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

louisJ
Expert

avi + vlc

Postby louisJ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 am

hi

I wonder why VLC cannot play the .avi files created by tecplot (360) ?

thanks

jim

Re: avi + vlc

Postby jim » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 am

AVI is a container for a particular format. We use the Microsoft RLE codec. It appears VLC doesn't play the Microsoft RLE codec. (There is a <a href="http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30561">forum thread</a> about this, but no indication when they're going to add it.)

louisJ
Expert

Postby louisJ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 pm

ok
thank you Jim

jim

Postby jim » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Another possible linux option is mplayer; however, there is an issue whereby it outputs warnings to standard input.

gittenlucky

Postby gittenlucky » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am

It seems VLC will now play these files. I am using VLC 1.0.5 on OSX 10.6. It will not play them in QuickTime even though I have Perian installed. You are probably trying to play them on Windows or Linux, but if it is working in OSX, it is probably working in the others as well.

As a side note, I convert them to a more friendly file format with iSquint. It takes the 104MB avi file and gives me a 3MB mp4 file of comparable quality! Compare that to the 12MB flash (terrible quality) and the 67MB Raster file (does anyone use this format?). It would be nice if TecPlot offered more choices for file formats that are more keynote/powerpoint friendly. I don't mind the few seconds of re-encoding on a different machine though.

-Jeff

Return to “Animation”