TecIO library for python (with SWIG)

Creating Tecplot binary data files

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Remy_FR

TecIO library for python (with SWIG)

Postby Remy_FR » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 am

Hello,

I've never seen (on this forum or on internet) a way to use the tecIO library directly with python. If i'm wrong I will be happy you correct me :D.
But in the meantime, I decided to try to make it using the SWIG tool with the C++ source of the tecio library. After some attempt I succeeded to compile and load a module containing TECXXX112 functions without error in python, but at the end I unfortunately get a type error when I tried the TECINI112 function :

Code: Select all

>>> tecio.tecini112("TITLE", "x y z", "Tecplot_file.out", ".", 0, 1, 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: in method 'tecini112', argument 5 of type 'int *'

I'm not an expert of C++ and SWIG tool, and it seems here it's only a problem of translation of a python integer to a... C pointeur integer I guess. If someone has experience on this kind of interfacing, maybe we could solve this problem and have a useful module for tecplot users... If you want to try I can also post the steps of my method.

Thanks !

Ben

Re: TecIO library for python (with SWIG)

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 am

The tecio functions have a strange parameter syntax (passing integers by pointer, for example) to ease Fortran compatibility.

My suggestion is to create your own thin C++ layer on top of tecio to simplify the interface. Then use SWIG to make the python interface to your layer.

Return to “TecIO Library”