Excel Add-In Capability

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

Mike Mills

Excel Add-In Capability

Postby Mike Mills » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:47 am

I believe I saw in the web site marketing materials that Tecplot can be used as an Excel Add-In. I want to "see" my data in real-time while still in Excel. Basically, I want to supplement the limited 3D plotting capabilities that Excel has.

Can Tecplot be used as an Excel Add-In? If so, how do I add it in? If not, please let me know that, too, and I will look elsewhere for this capability.

I have used the Excel Add-In Manager tool but do not see Tecplot as an option. I also did a word search in the Tecplot Help tool using "add-in" and "Excel" as search phrase but found nothing specific to this operation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

P.S. - Your spell checking function requires me to disable my pop up blocker. When I do so I lose all the text I typed in. :evil: :x

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Excel Add-In Capability

Postby Chris Idso » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Hello,

Not sure what you were reading, but Tecplot cannot be used as an addin to Excel. What we do have is an addin which installs directly into Excel that allows you to load your data into Tecplot. With the addin installed, you open your spreadsheet in Excel and highlight the region of the spreadsheet with the data you want to load and activate the addin, and Tecplot pops up with your data loaded into it.

This addin cannot load your data into Tecplot it real time. Once Tecplot pops up with your data loaded into it, that instance of Tecplot is independent of Excel (they are not linked at all).
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

Mike Mills

Re: Excel Add-In Capability

Postby Mike Mills » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply. I was mistaken about where I'd seen the Add-In feature listed and described. It was on the web site for a different software product, not TecPlot. I apologize for any confusion I may have created.

Return to “Installation”