Average of two vector fields

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

rcoquet

Average of two vector fields

Postby rcoquet » Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 am

Hello,

Here's my problem. I measured two velocity field with flowmanager and export it as tecplot datas. So i load each field in one zone with tecplot.
The two zones are partially superimposed.
I would like to know if it's possible to compute an average of the velocity vectors on the superimposed area?and then is it possible to merge the two zones into one?

Thank you

Rafa[/img]

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Average of two vector fields

Postby Chris Idso » Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Hello Rafa,

You should be able to do this, but before we can describe how, we will need little more information from you.

1) Do both of your zones have the same grid?
2) Do you want to calculate the average of the magnitude of the velocity or the average of each vector component?
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

rcoquet

Postby rcoquet » Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 am

Hello Chris,

1)The both zones have the same grid
2)I would like to calculate the average of each vector component.
Do you know how could I do that?

Regards,

Rafa

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Postby Chris Idso » Fri May 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Rafa,

Thank you for the information. One few more questions just to clarify something:

1) Are your zones of Finite element order or are the IJ or IJK ordered?
2) It sounds like your zones overlap, but not totally. In that case, what is the shape of the region in which your zones overlap?
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead

Tecplot, Inc

rcoquet

Postby rcoquet » Mon May 17, 2010 4:34 am

Chris,

1- My zones are IJ ordered,
2- The region in which the two zones overlap is rectangular.

I have another question, which sounds really beginner:
when i import my datas as tecplot data (.dat), everything is fine, i can plot contour and streamtraces. When i import my datas as excel loader, the vector field is fine, but i can't plot streamtraces and contour...do you know why?

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Postby Chris Idso » Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am

Rafa,

Thank you for the additional information. In order to calculate the average of the overlapping portions of your two zones, you would need to do the following (after loading your data):

1) Go to Data/Create Zone / Rectangular and create a zone that is the same size as the overlapped region.
2) Go to Data/Create Zone / Duplicate and create a copy of the zone you created in step 1

These two new zones will be zones 3 and 4 in your list.

3) Go to Data/Interpolate/Inverse Distance and interpolate zone 1 onto zone 3
4) Repeat - interpolating zone 2 onto zone 4
5) Now you can create a variable under Data/Alter/Specify Equations that represents the average of zones 3 and 4. Don't know how many variables are in your dataset, but if you had 10 for example , then the equation would be this:

v11 = 0 (and click Compute)

6) Now you can calculate the average for a given variable, for example variable number 5 in your list, and with zone 3 selected:

v11 = (v5 + v5[4])/2

and click Compute.

The [4] refers to zone four.

Now, to answer your other question about Excel:

When you load your Tecplot formatted data, the file contains information that tells Tecplot how the points are to be connected - how to make cells. In some cases this information is entirely in the header of the file, and in other cases it is partly in the header and also in a connectivity list which is located after the data in the file.

It is this information that allows Tecplot to make contour plots.

When you load your data from Excel, then the information on how to make cells is lost, so Tecplot accepts the data but cannot make a contour plot. If your data is 2D, then you can go to Data/Triangulate and this will make a copy of your data, and give the copy FE Triangle order, which makes it possible to make a contour plot. You just need to activate the triangulation zone and deactivate the original zone, and turn on the Contour layer.

[/list]
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead

Tecplot, Inc

dreamchaser

Postby dreamchaser » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi Chris,

I have data that is finite element order. It lists the variables "X","Y",and "Q" where Q is the heat flux for a cylinder.
I would like to use Tecplot's Analyze tool and perform an integration of Q to get the total heat load for the cylinder.
How can I do this for finite element ordered data?

Thanks in advance,

Return to “Analyzer”