How to let Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 work in current directory in an X-windown?

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

xinmude
Experienced user

How to let Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 work in current directory in an X-windown?

Postby xinmude » Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi, All:

I have been using Tecplot 360 2012 R1 in an X-window on a MacOS machine---until now.

This is how I work in an X-window: I first go to the directory where my data files, lay files, etc. are located, and start Tecplot using a line command right there; when I need to open a LAY file, or load a DAT file, or export an EPS file, Tecplot automatically points to the current directory, which is what I like.

Now I have a new machine, a macOS High Sierra, and it appears that I have to use Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2. In this version, I have to start from the root directory and dig several levels (could be up to 10 levels or more) to locate each and every single file, which is a great pain.

How can I possibly work in my old way in an X-window with Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2? In other words, is it possible to let Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 treat the current working directory as the default directory?

Also, how to let Tecplot display ONLY the LAY/DAT files when I want to open/load a LAY/DAT file? (Tecplot displays ALL kinds of files even though LAY or DAT files are flagged.)

Besides, is it possible to let Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 recognize formatting symbols (^, _, `, and ~) for superscript, subscript, Greek letter, and math in my numerous old LAY files?

Thank you,

Roland

xinmude
Experienced user

Re: How to let Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 work in current directory in an X-windown?

Postby xinmude » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Summary of Recent Experiences:

1.) Figured out that if you start Tecplot 360 EX 2017 R2 in current working directory (CWD) followed by a LAY file or a DAT file in that directory in the following manner

% tec360 my_layout.lay [or, my_data.dat]

Tecplot will point to CWD in the current session.

2.) Based on recent communications with support@tecplot.com, set |MFBD| = '|macrofilepath|/' for CWD, and similarly, a macro in CWD to be included should be using $!Includemacro "|macrofilepath|/my_macro.mcr"

3.) To use old text formatting tags, save a file called "old_formatting.mcr" somewhere and include it when you open Tecplot as

% tec360 /path_to_old_formatting/old_formatting.mcr (Opening no particular file)

or

% tec360 /path_to_old_formatting/old_formatting.mcr my_layout.lay (Opening my_layout.lay)

The file, "old_formatting.mcr" has only the following 2 lines:

#!MC 1410
$!COMPATIBILITY ALLOWOLDTEXTFORMATTING = YES

You can alias "tec360 /path_to_old_formatting/old_formatting.mcr" to, say "tec", so that when you issue the command "tec", it will always recognize the old text formatting tags (_, ^, `, and ~).

Return to “Tecplot 360 and Focus”