Circulation around vortex core

Moderators: steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso, davetaflin, salter

ridhwan

Circulation around vortex core

Postby ridhwan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 am

Hello, I'm new in Tecplot. Is there a tool in tecplot 360 to calculate circulation around the vortex core?

Or to calculate closed integration of $oint \vec{u} \cdot \vec{dl}$.

newby

Chris Idso
Jedi Master

Re: Circulation around vortex core

Postby Chris Idso » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 am

Hello Ridwan,

Are you asking whether Tecplot can display a vortex core, or are you just asking if Tecplot can perform a calculation on a vortex core that has already been displayed?
Chris

Christopher Idso

Tech Support Lead
Tecplot, Inc

ridhwan

Postby ridhwan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 am

Hello Chris,

I have already calculate and display a vortex core, vortex core radius as well. Now I'm going to calculate circulation around the core, but have no idea how can I do this in Tecplot.

Is there any tools in Tecplot to calculate circulation? OR
Can you give me some suggestion on how to extract data around the core (so I can do integration around it).

Many thanks.
Last edited by ridhwan on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

davetaflin
Tecplot Employee

Postby davetaflin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:36 am

Hello, Ridhwan,

If you can define a closed path in your data over which to integrate, you can calculate circulation using the Analyze/Perform Integration menu option. In the Integrate dialog, for Type of Integration, select Vector Dotted with Unit Tangential, and select your velocity components for the Integrand. You then need to identify a line--a closed path--as your Domain of Integration. If you want to read more on specifying the domain of integration, click the Help button and scroll down a bit on the resulting help Web page. Click Integrate when you are done, and the circulation will be displayed as the integration result.

Dave

ridhwan

Postby ridhwan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:55 am

Hello davetaflin

Many thanks for your suggestion, its work now.

Ridhwan

jim

Postby jim » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

I've uploaded Dave's macro <a href="http://www.tecplottalk.com/i/CreateCircl.mcr">here</a>. This creates a circular, I-ordered zone with an input radius, center and normal axis.

davetaflin
Tecplot Employee

Postby davetaflin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Defining a closed path in three dimensions can be a challenge. If you have ordered data, you may be able to define an index range that encloses the desired location. The macro Jim mentioned gives you (with some editing) another option for creating a circular I-ordered zone in 3D. Once you have created the I-ordered zone for your integration, you can interpolate your volume data onto it using Tecplot's Data/Interpolate options.

ridhwan

Postby ridhwan » Tue May 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Thank you Jim for the macro.

I'll look forward to test the macro soon. At the moment, my circulation calculation works very fine using the Vector Dotted with Unit Tangential as suggested by Dave.

Many thanks for your help.

Yun

Postby Yun » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:56 am

hi, I am really new in Tecplot. Wish to get help.
I have to calculate the circulation around vortex core as well. I have velocity field and vorticity field. So i know where the vortex is.
But I don't know how to define the path(a circle around the core). In tecplot, there are only integrate over "cell volumes, I-lnes, J-lines, k-lines, I-planes, J-planes, k-planes".
My data is 2D.
Thank you very much if anyone can help!

rieuk

Postby rieuk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:48 am

Yes can anyone elaborate on how to create a new circular (closed path) zone onto which the data can be interpolated?

[EDIT] I suppose for circulation you can just calculate the vorticity and create a solid circular zone over which one integrates...but I don't know how to get the "line" zone i.e. hollow circular zone

ridhwan

Postby ridhwan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am

A closed circle can be created either by using macro given by Jim/Dave or what I did was creating a circular zone from Data/Create zone. The circular zone created however will have mesh with regular spacing. You need to interpolate data from simulation to this circular zone first and for the circulation, you need to take only the value at the outer most circle.

rieuk

Postby rieuk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 am

Ah ok so I should create the circular zone like I already have and the integrate around the boundary. I see, thanks.

houss

Postby houss » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:05 am

Hi Tecplot users!
I've already used the Analyser function to extract vortex centre lines.now i want to display vortex core radius..is there any developed utility in tecplot for this purpose.
i would appreciate your help.

Return to “Analyzer”